Monday, October 05, 2009

VeganMoFo Day Five: Just another manic Monday (Memoirs of a Japanese Sunday Luncheon)

...I wish it was Sunday. Cuz that's my fun day, my I don't have to run day - it's just another manic Monday.

Don't challenge me here. I can do the whole song. You don't want that.

I will now present to you a pictorial essay of the lovely Japanese lunch I had yesterday at Osaka in Astoria, Queens. I will be meditating on this delightful meal throughout my absurd workday... thinking about the good times... wish it was Sunday...


We tend to go at off times, and the place tends to be pretty quiet.


I always love to see this. And here they don't even put it next to anything that has shrimp in it.


Best selection of veg rolls I've found anywhere in NYC. If I could just convince them to make the peanut roll that I get in midtown, it would be flawless.


All I can say about this one is, YES.


For the first month or so that they were open, they brought complimentary dishes of edamame to every table. I suppose you can't keep that kind of thing up though. Even steamed salted soybean pods get expensive after a while.


Mouthwateringly perfect and beautifully plated yasai gyoza. So, so glad we got two orders.



Jon's rolls. Kappa maki, sweet potato tempura, avocado, and vegetable tempura. (We ask for it without the "mayonnaise" sauce, and they never let us down.)


My vegetable udon. They do not skimp on the vegetables. A bit heavy on the cabbage maybe, but more than enough exquisitely cooked broccoli to make up for that.



And of course, in any bowl of udon, it's the udon noodles (duh) that make it. I crave these chewy bits of wonder. They make me happy, on the inside. And after all, isn't that where we all need to be happy?

Have to catch an early train, gotta be to work by nine...

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow that looks like some really good sushi

Bonnie said...

Mmm it all looks wonderful. Sushi always looks so delicious, I wish I liked it.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Wow. This looks so good!