Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Theme and variations: Chocolate Strawberry Muffins. (VeganMoFo Day 29.)

Well. After the wonderful success of the giant blueberry cocoa muffin wonderfulness, I was inspired. Berries are fabulous, and what one does well another can often do too. What I decided I must try was this: chocolate and strawberry.

From the original recipe, or rather my adapted recipe based on Celine's mini bundts from Have Cake, Will Travel, I made two alterations. First, I used strawberry yogurt. This did take the sugar content up somewhat, but not terribly. I prefer Whole Soy & Co. yogurt specifically because it is much lower in sugar than Silk yogurts; also I just don't like supporting Silk, which is owned by Dean Foods - the largest milk producer in the country. They boast producing two billion gallons of milk per year, as if that's a good thing.

But anyway.

The second change was, of course, to use strawberries instead of blueberries. Unfortunately it's against my religion, being from Louisiana and all, to buy strawberries out of season, so I got (whole, unsweetened) frozen ones and chopped them.

The results? If possible, they're even better than the blueberry muffins were. The smell and appearance were so enticing that I couldn't keep my fiance away after dinner; while I was washing dishes he snuck in behind me and pulled one right out of the still hot muffin tins. Upon tearing it in half he exclaimed, "MOIST!" And through his first mouthful, he declared, "dfahm bhaby, thessfs arfre pfretty fuuffkin goofdh." And indeed, they are.

As I have no good pictures for you, I'll leave you with this:



Strawberry fields forever.

2 comments:

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Snitching straight from the pan is the highest compliment.

melissa bastian. said...

Dude, or should I say Tami, I totally agree. That's why I didn't turn around and smack him. :) P.S., your blog makes me totally jealous. How come everything you make is so pretty?