Thursday, October 09, 2008

Pencils ready? Pop quiz! (VeganMoFo day 9)

Ha ha, just kidding. It's not so much a quiz as a survey that was posted by a cute girl named Liz who writes a blog called Food Snobbery is my Hobbery. And since I do indeed enjoy writing about myself and the food I eat to what is probably an unhealthy extent, I thought, what the hell? Even though it is a little myspace, but, you know, whatev.

1. Name a song that involves food in some way.
Cibo Matto has the market cornered on this one - after all their name does mean "food crazy". My personal favorites are "sugar water", "birthday cake", and "know your chicken".

2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy?
Is it fucking awesome? That's pretty much the beginning and the end, since I have a pathological inability to stick to a recipe and there's so much available on the internets anyway.

3. What did you eat today?
Talk to me later.

4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried.
Vegan shark fin soup. Its existence upsets me to the point of offence, and for a year or two I referred to it as "the soup that shall not be named." I'm not planning on trying it.

5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be?
I can't believe it's not animals!

6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment?
Tobasco! Keepin' it real, yo. We were a Tobasco household, not a Crystal household - when you're from Louisiana you have to choose one or the other. Plus I have a lot of respect for them; they're still operating as a family business on this tiny little island, even after the storm. Plus plus Tobasco sauce is awesome and tastes good and makes red beans and rice da bomb.

7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan?
Dabbled in vegetarianism from the time I was 14, dabbled in veganism from the time I was 24, finally got my head straight and went full blown vegan at 28.

8. Favorite vegan cheeze?
Follow Your Heart mozzerella - sorry Teese, but I still haven't seen you melt properly.

9. Cutest baby animal?
Liz, I think I like you, but I'm going to have to call dumb question on you. All baby animals are cute, with the express biological purpose of keeping their mothers from eating or abandoning them - up to and including human ones. That said, kittens kittens kittens!

10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves?
My fiance's parents live in the mountains of far western Virginia, and of late a lot of Amish have moved in. All of the preserves found in their general store are pretty rockin... except for the apple ones, which are way too sweet.

11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?
I sporadically-to-regularly take Emergen-C. I believe that it's good, even if the diagrams on the box are some of the worst pseudo-science I've ever seen. At the very least it makes a tasty beverage - SuperOrange flavor all the way!

12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season?
Hmm. I can't narrow it down to one food; really anything that feels hearty and restorative and warming. Or definitely anything (that isn't curry) with pumpkin pie-type spices: you know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom...

13. What food would you have a hard time living without?
Most of them. But sugar is the only thing that I have serious withdrawal from. You should see it - I jones like a junke. It's pitiful.

14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?
Coffee most mornings, unless it's a gentle morning where I'm sick or don't have to do much that morning in which case tea. In the evenings or afternoons or when I'm sad or cold, peppermint (NOT spearmint or mixed mint) tea. Sometimes when I'm feeling a specific kind of meditative, jasmine pearls in my glass french press, so that I can watch them unfurl in the hot water. When it's cold out, especially if there are Christmas lights up, and I'm feeling a specific kind of sad or nostalgic or festive, hot chocolate. You know, I may be slightly emotionally connected to my food.

15. It's 10PM and you're starving. What do you eat?
Have I baked something in the past day? Then probably that. No? Hmm. Any bread around? Old crackers? Bananas? Leftovers in the fridge? Maybe I'll just graze...

16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food?
When I had dogs, they thought baby carrots were a real treat. My cat, Monkey, who lives 1200 miles away in the loving care of a dear friend but who I still consider my cat, loves nothing more than to get his head up under the kitchen faucet and lick the little bit of water that is inevitably trickling out. He's been doing it since he was a kitten.

17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen?
Years ago, when I was doing dishes, a glass sort of exploded in my hand. It cut through the top part of the proximal-most knuckle of my right thumb, managed to sever halfway through the tendon, and required internal and external stitches. That was a blast. The scar makes a little half-moon.

18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call?
Totally depends on the question, but if it's cooking it's my fiance (not that I have to call him, other than from the kitchen to the living room). He's been vegan for three times as long as me, and he used to work as a line cook. Every now and then, for the truly old-school knowledge, I gotta call mom.

19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most?
The fruits that are actually in season instead of hothoused or shipped up from South America - I don't really dig that.

20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work?
I'm big on granola bars, and these bars that are peanuts and sunflower seeds stuck together with sugar.

21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day?
Depends on the season - there's a dill and mushroom soup, and sometimes we do a miso, but our most frequent soup is a frankenstein vegetable. I swear next summer I'm gonna make my mom's gazpacho.

22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices?
I always start off with carrot - carrot orange celery is good, or carrot orange beet. For a more vegetable-ey thing, I'll do carrot beet kale... honestly my juice cart guy is awesome and the list of combinations are endless and I love juice.

23. Favorite brand of root beer?
I really only drink diet root beer, and there's some good ones out there but I can't think of them right now because it's two o'clock in the morning.

24. Make up your own question!
OK, I will. Here goes: What is your favorite vegan junkfood indulgence?
There are these wafer cookies. You know the kind, with the "cookie" part that's sort of a cross between a communion wafer and biodegradable styrofoam, and "creme filling" that's actually just vegetable shortening and an incredible amount of sugar blended together. Well, there's a line of these Croatian wafer cookies at the EuroMarket around the corner from our house - part of the glory of living in Astoria - and I'm telling you, these things will be my doom. I can eat a whole box, which is supposed to be like 20 servings or something, in a sitting. Well over a day's worth of calories in one of those boxes. There was about a week there where I was eating a box a day... man, coming off of that was like coming off of a crack binge... But damn if those aren't some good cookies.

No comments: