Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Do the mushroom fantastic. (VeganMoFo day 14.)

***Hi friends!  I'm so happy that so many of you still love this recipe!  For those who have requested a more printable version, please go here.  Love ya!  January 24, 2014. ***

* * * * * *

Hello poppets. What follows here is a modified, me-ified version of a recipe found in La Dolce Vegan (on golden pond mushroom soup, p. 105) - because, as we know, I can't actually just follow a recipe or anything crazy like that. I made it about four hundred times last fall and winter, with variations such as adding potatoes, and it sustained us through harsh cold ickyness. On Sunday night I made it for the first time this year, and I'd say I have my recipe just about perfect.

I would call my version magic mushroom soup, except for all the stupid unwanted hippie stoner pothead inferences there. Instead I think I'll call it Happy Dancing Mushroom Soup, in honor of those cute little guys from Fantasia. (Oh hush; the first one came out long before Disney was the nexus of evil.) If I post a picture I think Disney might sue me, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyway.

THE FOLLOWING IMAGE IS COPYRIGHTED BY WALT DISNEY GOLIATH MEGACORP INC. AND ANY REPRODUCTION OR DISTRIBUTION WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DEATH BY DECAPITATION:


Anyway. I'm interested to see what happens there. And now, on to the soupness.

Happy Dancing Mushroom Soup!


Ingredients:
  • 2 small onions; I prefer yellow (or one large - this is yours to choose... choose, and perish!), chopped, sliced, or otherwise rendered into small bits
  • 1 (one) 3.5 oz. container of shitake mushrooms, de-stemmed, fatly sliced
  • 2 (two) 8 oz. container of baby portobella mushrooms, also fatly sliced - your choice about the stems on these, I'm pro leaving them in, but shitake stems are unbearable
  • 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. dried dill
  • 2 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups stock (I like Imagine Organic un-chicken broth, or Rapunzel makes several flavors of vegan bouillon cubes, one of which nicely flavors two cups of water, but then you need a second pot...)
  • 3 cups unsweetened plain almond milk (the very best one is Blue Diamond, and for this recipe original flavor as opposed to vanilla, fo sho.)
Methods:
  • Saute, or caramelize, if you will, the onions in a little oil until they're cooked enough to eat - it brings out the flavor, and besides raw onions are the bane of my existence. Do this in the pot you plan on using for the finished soup product, since this is a one pot kinda soup.
  • Add in all of the mushroom slices - this will be quite a quantity, and that's alright. Cook them down for a few to several minutes; as they're cooking down add the tamari, dill, lemon pepper, and paprika.
  • Once the mushrooms are quite cooked down and have released a substantial amount of liquid - yes, they will - stir in your flour. Do this quickly and once it's in don't dawdle. It will form a sort of chunky mushroom paste.
  • Add in the first cup of stock immediately once you get your paste at an even consistency. Bring the mixture up to a simmer.


  • (This is about what it looks like after the addition of the first cup of stock.)
  • Add in the second cup of stock, and bring to a simmer once more. Follow the same procedure with the almond milk, adding one cup at a time. Be careful always to only bring to a simmer, never to a boil. If the soup boils, it will "break" - the flour will separate from the oil it has bonded to, and each will float at the surface of your soup in weird little bubble pods instead of infusing it and making it creamy. Guess how I know?
  • Once all five cups of liquid have been added, let the pot simmer (simmer not boil!) for ten to fifteen minutes.
  • Turn off heat; let sit five to ten minutes before serving.


(Mmm, Happy Mushroom Soup!)

Makes 4 to 8 servings, depending on how gluttonous you are. Me, I'm pretty gluttonous, and I like eating out of these here Chinese soup bowls with the special spoons... so I get about three servings. So it goes.

18 comments:

For the Love of Guava said...

mmm... I can never follow exact recipes either... which makes me a sort of disastrous baker but works for soup! That soup does look magical... yum... wish I had some mushrooms or could find someone to teach me the ins and outs of foraging so i don't actually pick up "magical mushrooms" :)

melissa bastian. said...

yeah... mushroom hunting is definitely not where you want to be making guesses. for oh so many reasons, up to and including, you know, death. for all of the faults of this book, The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan does include a section on mushroom hunting that is awesome/hilarious.

this soup is totally up for interpretation! just be careful what you mix with dill...

Anonymous said...

I threw in some collard greens for a little more color, went well with the texture too.

The Miles Family said...

Deeeeelicious. It came together in no time. I used a Spanish paprika, because that's all I had on hand but otherwise to a T. Husband ran to the store for crusty bread for sopping up. Yum. Can't wait to see how the leftovers heat (simmer) up tomorrow.

herbivoretriathlete said...

Looks like I found the recipe for my mushrooms that need used up in the fridge! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've made this several times now and I LOVE IT! It's so full of flavor. Today I mixed it up a little by putting a huge dollop of garlic mashed potatoes in the middle of my bowl of soup along with a slice of sourdough. Oh my heavens. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!

whitdastrup said...

This was great! I doubled the spices: used cayenne pepper, dried basil, and thyme instead of paprika and dill (I didn't have them on hand)and took Anonymous's tip and added kale. It had awesome flavor. Thanks for the post.

Yvette Tillema said...

I loved the soup, I used half dill and half thyme and cup of barley that I cooked in pressure cooker. I am trying to figure out how to print the recipe. Really good.

Anonymous said...

After tasting this the first time I made it a second time extra thick over noodles and it tastes like stroganoff.

kelsealynn46 said...

I LOVE this soup. I make it frequently and eat it all myself. I don't use dill (I ran out!), but I throw in other spices, and it comes out to be SUPER yummy every time.I love finding vegan recipes, and I loveeee mushrooms.
This is easily one of my favorite things. :D

Kristen said...

Are you kidding me??? This is SO DELICIOUS!! I've been vegan for five weeks, and I was really craving something creamy. I cannot believe, using almond milk, that this tastes so good. I also cheated and used frozen mushrooms because the fresh ones didn't look so hot at the grocery store. Still amazing. Thank you for this recipe!

Vanessa said...

This is easily my favorite soup ever. I run over to the Chinese market, pick up 1.5 lbs of mushrooms for cheap, and have gotten really efficient at cutting them. Dill has to be one of my favorite flavors as well, this soup is absolutely perfect.

Krista said...

I just made this tonight, as I had some mushrooms in the fridge waiting to be used up. BEST MUSHROOM SOUP EVER!! This made my day! Thank you. Also, love your site, some posts made me laugh. A lot. I found the link through Vegangela, another awesome vegan blog. Keep on rockin' the exquisite vegan food!

Katzilla said...

Loved it! But I wish I had seen the note about servings because this only made three bowls, and my flatmates were VERY unhappy that's all there was! Will make again, might serve with mashed potatoes or pasta (:

Katzilla said...

Loved it! But I wish I had seen the note about servings because this only made three bowls, and my flatmates were VERY unhappy that's all there was! Will make again, might serve with mashed potatoes or pasta (:

Madeline Hood said...

Is there a printer friendly version of this recipe? I made it. I love it. But I do not want to waste a lot of paper.

sin7877 said...

I don't have tamari or soy :/... In the middle of making it... Hope it still turns out ok.....

Kelly J said...

My favorite soup - EVER! Make it all the time. I've never looked forward to a soup like I do this one. :)

Thanks for the recipe!!