Monday, October 27, 2008

Cocoa and blueberries, yes yes yes. (VeganMoFo day 27)

I made giant muffins! At least, I think they were giant. Maybe they were normal. My concept of proper muffin size has been regularly challenged over the past two decades: between the supersizing of every foodstuff and the ubiquitous baskets of mini-muffins, I really don't know what their proper size is. But assuming that they should be only slightly larger than your average cupcake, and assuming that the muffins I made were about twice the size of normal cupcakes, I'm going to go ahead and call them GIANT! Giant and AWESOME. Because awesome, my loves, they were.

Once again, the wonderment began over on Have Cake, Will Travel with this recipe. Now, as you'll see, the ever-ingenious Celine was making three mini-bundt cakes. There we go with size manipulation; I have no idea what size a bundt cake ought to be, none whatsoever, and wouldn't recognize a mini-bundt if it ran me down in the street. So it's just as well that I don't own bundt pans and decided to use my never-before-baked-in giant muffin pans, bought on sale last year because, well, they were on sale.

I followed the recipe fairly closely, as baking chemistry is such that I'm scared to alter much and this recipe is fairly different than anything I've done before. I did make a bit of a change flavor-wise though; the original recipe calls for a coffee-type ingredient, which I'm not so hot on, so I pulled a little trickery with chocolate extract instead. You'll see.

{One note before we begin: how I deal with sifting. I have a large hand-crank sifter. I place it on a small plate. Into it I put all of my dry, to-be-sifted ingredients. I then sift the dry into whatever wet preparation there is, mixing at intervals. It works out quite well and allows me to only dirty one bowl. This method was invented/adopted partly out of laziness, and partly because I have extremely limited counter space.





}

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup turbinado
  • 3/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. chocolate extract
  • 1/2 cup hazelnut meal (I actually used almond meal, as my Euro Market let me down in the Hazelnut department.)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries {I used fresh, and boy was I glad I did.}

Methods:
Cream the margarine and sugar. Mix in yogurt, extracts, meal, and cocoa. Add flour, baking powder and soda, and salt to your sifter; remember to sit it on top of a plate. Add the dry to the wet by sifting in about a third at a time and mixing; do not overmix. (One day we'll have a talk about just what "overmixing" means anyway.) Once all dry has been added to wet and mixed completely, gently fold in the blueberries.


Pour the batter into a prepared giant muffin tin thingy, non-stick or lightly oiled or both. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Should make five giant muffins.)

And the results, voila! These five enormous muffins. I'm not making that up, those are big, right? I mean, you know, assuming that that's a large dinner plate they're on and all. Oh, who knows. But they were bursting with fresh blueberries (some of which inexplicably turned red in the baking process!) and backed up by a solid cocoa foundation. I believe I could eat these for breakfast every day.



Eventually I'll understand the mechanics of baking well enough to come up with something this miraculous from scratch; until then I'll have to continue to stand on the shoulders of giants. It's alright though. Up here the weather's just fine.

4 comments:

For the Love of Guava said...

why have I never had CHOCOLATE blueberry muffins??? YUM!

melissa bastian. said...

Hee, chocolate blueberry muffins. Can you believe I never looked at them in that light?

Anyway, next I'm gonna try it with frozen strawberries and strawberry yogurt...

havecakewilltravel.com said...

laziness is good! that's my motto, anyway. YOU're awesome.

melissa bastian. said...

Celine called me awesome. I'd blush if I wasn't so olive. As it is, I'll just stare at my shoes and say, "aw, shucks."